My namesake

When I was twenty years old, I dreamt of a man in a white leather outfit with blue and red ribbon on his shirt and his pants.  He was standing on the other side of a fence.  I wasn't scared or anything, but it was a time in my life where I suppose I needed some help. 

One year later, I met him.  His name was Dave and he subsequently became my niiyawe'e or my namesake.  He gave me my Indian name and brought me back into the sacred circle most Indigenous people enjoy.  There were so many different things my niiyawe'e taught me, some of which I have decided that I will write about. 

My niiyawe'e taught me about cultrual attachment theory.  He gave to me in so many ways, the very teachings I hope to inspire through my dissertation process.  He has been gone now for a few months and I am not lost anymore, but very reflective of the things he had said to me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment